How to Fill Out DS-5504 Form: Definitive Guide
Do you need to correct the data on your passport? Do you want to change your name? Or, maybe, you need a new passport book? You can use Form DS-5504 for all these purposes! Below is a simple yet detailed guide on how to fill it out and submit it properly.
What Is a DS-5504 Form?
Form DS-5504: “Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement” is, as the name suggests, a form issued by the U.S. Department of State to let you change your passport data.
How to Get a DS-5504 Form?
You need to fill out this form if you need to change your name in a valid passport issued less than 1 year ago, extend the validity of a limited passport, or correct printed mistakes. The last procedure may be requested during the entire validity of your passport.
Here are two ways to get your copy of the DS-5504:
- eforms.state.gov – here you can download the form and use basic form-filling functions.
- PDFLiner – here you can get your fillable Form DS-5504 and fill it out and e-sign it right away in a convenient online editor.
How to Fill Out DS-5504 Form?
You can download and fill out the form in your favorite software or skip the daunting installation and start editing it online in PDFLiner right away. Regardless of your choice, here are the steps to fill out the form correctly:
- Page 1 – complete the short checklist to figure out whether you are eligible to file the form or not;
- Pages 2-4 – get acquainted with the information on these pages;
Pages 5 and 6 are fillable and require the following info:
- Header – select the type of document which you are applying for;
- Line 1 – 8 – enter all the required personal information, including your full name, date of birth, valid address, SSN, phone, email, etc.;
- Line 9 – here you have to list all the names you have used in your life. You can attach an extra page if needed;
- Box 10 – here you have to attach your passport photograph along with the information from your passport book or card. This includes your name, the book/card number, and the date of issue of the document.
- Sign and date the page and select the purpose of filing in the footer.
Page 6 requires you to enter your full name and birth date once again before filling it out.
- Lines 11 – 15 – in these lines, you have to describe your appearance by entering your height, hair color, and eye color. Then enter your current occupation if you are above 16 y.o., and name your school or current employer;
- Line 16 – provide an additional phone number and select its type;
- Box 17 – fill this line if your permanent address or residence address is different from your mailing address;
- Box 18 – provide extra contact information for emergencies;
- Line 19 – disclose your travel plans if you have any. Simply enter the departure and return date along with the countries you are going to visit.
The rest of page 6 includes 3 sections. You have to choose the section that matches the purpose of the request. Fill out the first section if your name has changed after marriage, the second if you want to correct a printed mistake, and the third if you want to extend the validity of a limited passport.
How to Sign a DS-5504?
If you are filling out a DS-5504 online form on PDFLiner, you can also sign your form without the need to leave the website. Here’s a quick instruction on how to do it:
- Click on the “Sign Field” on page 5 of the form;
- Click “Add new signature” in the pop-up window;
- Use one of the 4 secure e-sign methods offered in the window. You can generate a signature, draw it, upload an image of your signature, or capture the signature from a piece of paper with your web camera.
- Once you create the e-signature, it will be automatically added to the “Signature Field.”
If the signature field is not there for some reason, you can click on the “Add New Signature” button in the top left corner and add a new signature in the pop-up window. When the signature is created with this method, click and hold it with the left mouse button and move it to the right place.
How to File Form DS-5504?
Take a look at the data you entered in your form once again, correct all the mistakes, and get ready to submit the form to the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil if you are filing from abroad.
If you are filing inside the country, the mailing address is:
U.S. Department of State
National Passport Center
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1108
Sterling, VA 20166-1108
If you are mailing to the U.S. Embassy in Quito, the mailing address is:
Embajada de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Ave. Guayacanes N52-205 y Ave. Avigiras
170514 – Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
If you are mailing to U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil, the mailing address is:
Consulado General de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Calle Santa Ana y Av. José Rodriguez Bonin
090603 – Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
It’s recommended to submit this form in a Tyvek envelope and choose the traceable delivery method to stay on top of the delivery process. If you are filing from abroad, use the same options in the DHL delivery service as it’s certified to deliver this type of document.
Frequently Asked Questions
If form DS-5504 instructions didn’t answer all your questions, you might find the answers below.
How to change your address on your passport form DS-5504?
If you need to change the address on your passport while it is in process, you have to contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-277 and notify the department officer about the address change. If your address changed after you got a passport, you don’t have to apply for a re-issue of your passport.
Where to mail passport form DS-5504?
You have to mail your DS-5504 application form to the Department of State using only USPS. If you send the application using any other delivery service, it will be soon returned to you. You can mail to The National Passport Center if you are filing within the country, or to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil if you are filing from abroad.
Which form should I fill out to change the name on my passport?
If you want to change the name on a passport that was issued less than one year ago, you need to fill out the passport name change Form DS-5504. If you need to change your name on a passport issued more than one year ago, you have to submit DS-82 or DS-11 passport form. Note that DS-11 is submitted in person.
How long does it take to get a replacement passport?
Once you submit a replacement passport application, you have to wait up to 6 weeks. If you want the process to take less time (from 1 to 3 weeks), you can request the expedited service for an additional fee of $60. If you need to receive the new passport in no longer than 1-2 days, you can pay $17.56 more to speed up the process.
Recommended for you
- Forms Filing Tips Guide on Where to Get Form DS-82 September 19, 2022
- Forms Filing Tips How to Fill Out a DS-5525 Passport Application Detailed Guide September 16, 2022
- Forms Filing Tips Tips on How to Fill Out DS-3053 Form Online September 15, 2022